Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) devices are used during the first phase of rehabilitation following a manipulation, soft tissue surgical procedure or trauma. CPM's constantly move the joints through a controlled range of motion; the exact range is dependent upon the joint and controlled by the user by following physician’s instructions. In most cases the range of motion is increased over time. Speed, pause and other variables can also be programmed.
The goals CPM usage are:
- Control post-operative pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Provide passive motion in a specific plane of movement
- Protect the healing repair or tissue
- Helps prevent scar tissue formation
- Improves Range of Motion (ROM)
- Improve joint recovery
- Improve surgery success
CPM's mechanisms of action for aiding joint recovery are dependent upon what surgery is performed. One mechanism is the movement of synovial fluid to allow for better diffusion of nutrients into damaged cartilage, and diffusion of other materials out; such as blood and metabolic waste products. Another mechanism is the prevention of fibrous scar tissue formation in the joint, which tends to decrease the range of motion for a joint.
CPM therapy benefits patients by facilitating earlier motion and earlier return to normal function. These patients also have less pain, swelling, edema, and reduction of scarring/adhesion formation. OrthoSTAT, Corp. provides CPM equipment for the Ankle, Elbow, Hand, Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Toe and Wrist.
Hand CPM Machine indications:
- Post-op. Flexor Tendon Tenolysis
- Post-op. Flexor Tendon Laceration Repair
- Post-op. Dupuytrens Contracture Release
- Post-op. PIP Joint Capsulectory
- Post-op. Digital Intra-Articular Fractures
- Post-op. Digital Phalangeal-Inter-Phalangeal Joint Arthroplasty
- Post-op. Digital Metacarpal-Phalangeal Joint Arthroplasty
- Post-op. Manipulation for Hand Adhesive Capsulitis
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Crush Injuries of the Hand
Purchase or 3 Weeks & 4 Weeks Rental options
Please call (321) 939-3244 with questions or to make a Purchase or Rental Inquiry.