Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) devices are used during the first phase of rehabilitation following a manipulation, soft tissue surgical procedure or trauma. CPM's constantly move the joints through a controlled range of motion; the exact range is dependent upon the joint and controlled by the user by following physician’s instructions. In most cases the range of motion is increased over time. Speed, pause and other variables can also be programmed.
The goals for CPM usage are:
- Control post-operative pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Provide passive motion in a specific plane of movement
- Protect the healing repair or tissue
- Helps prevent scar tissue formation
- Improves Range of Motion (ROM)
- Improve joint recovery
- Improve surgery success
CPM's mechanisms of action for aiding joint recovery are dependent upon what surgery is performed. One mechanism is the movement of synovial fluid to allow for better diffusion of nutrients into damaged cartilage, and diffusion of other materials out; such as blood and metabolic waste products. Another mechanism is the prevention of fibrous scar tissue formation in the joint, which tends to decrease the range of motion for a joint.
CPM therapy benefits patients by facilitating earlier motion and earlier return to normal function. These patients also have less pain, swelling, edema, and reduction of scarring/adhesion formation. OrthoSTAT, Corp. provides CPM equipment for the Ankle, Elbow, Hand, Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Toe and Wrist.
Wrist CPM indications:
- Post-op. ORIF of Intra-Articular Fractures of the Phalanges
- Post-op. ORIF of Diaphyseal Fractures of the Phalanges
- Post-op. ORIF of Metaphyseal Fractures of the Phalanges
- Post-op. ORIF of Epiphyseal Fractures of the Phalanges
- Post-op. Prosthetic Replacement of the MCP, PIP and DIP Joints
- Post-op. Synovectomies
- Rheumatoidal / Neurological or Post-Burn Stiffness
- Capsulotomies, Arthrolysis and Tenolysis for Post-Traumatic Stiffness of MCP, PIP and DIP Joints
- Flexor and Extensor Tendon Tenolysis
- Aponeurectomies for Dupuytrens Disease
- MCP Arthrolysis
Purchase or 3 Weeks & 4 Weeks Rental options
Please call (321) 939-3244 with questions or fill out the form below to make a Purchase or Rental Inquiry.